Sunday, May 18, 2008

So what do you bid?

My hand:

♠ Ax
Jxxx
Qxxxx
♣ xx

I'm sitting South. The bidding goes:
WestNorthEastSouth
1 2 Pass?

My partner's 2 bid is a cue bid to show spade support, but allow me to bid them. Only trouble is, I don't want to bid spades, let alone play in spades. I don't want to pass (with a human partner, it would serve him/her right, but I was playing against a computer partner, and strangely they never seem to care that I'm tearing my hair out), and I don't want to bid 3. I actually have a crappy hand.

I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know if we were vulnerable. I also don't know how this hand played out, or if I just took it as a sign that it was time to stop playing bridge online and go do something useful. But I did take the time to write it out, so that I could mull over it.

I still don't know what you do. I'll have to ask someone smart.

Incidentally, and on a meta-note, this post was really hard to do. I had to crib a version of an HTML table. I'm a lawyer, people, not computer savvy at all. Starman (who *is* computer savvy) was disinclined to help, but did make the crucial suggestion at the crucial time: Google the terms "Blogspot Table FAQ" and see what you get. It worked! Well, the bidding table here needs a lot of tweaking, but I think I can make something sensible the next time. This is good enough for now.

No comments: