Thursday, January 3, 2008

This is what I'm talking about

One of the reasons for a separate bridge blog is that I want to muse on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong in bridge. I just defended a 4 diamonds contract. (I'll see if I can import lovely red diamonds and heart icons to make this blog look purty.) I was playing with a robot partner, against two robot opponents. (I play on bridgebase online. You can play for free, but the robots cost a whopping $3/month. Human players are nice, but they like to chat, and I treat bridge as a bit of a upmarket solitaire -- play a few hands and then get out.)

Okay, so I have four diamonds headed by the queen. I should take a trump trick, right? Only when my partner plays a heart and I'm void, I don't realize that declarer (my left hand opponent) is out and will uber-trump me. And of course, by playing a little trump, I've now made it possible for declarer to finesse my queen. All because I hadn't been counting the hearts. That'll learn me!

No comments: